Preventative dentistry is the continuous maintenance of your teeth and oral health. It is the single most effective way to eliminate costly dental problems and painful emergencies. Our goal for every patient is to help avoid preventable problems with good hygiene and regular maintenance in the dental office and at home.
Routine Home Dental Care
Brush your teeth after every meal, floss at least once every day; before bedtime is best.
- Brush your teeth twice a day with fluoride toothpaste.
- Clean between teeth daily with floss. Decay causing bacteria lingers between teeth where toothbrush bristles can’t reach. Flossing removes plaque and food particles from between the teeth and under the gum line.
- Use anti-bacterial mouthwash to help fight against plaque buildup in hard-to-reach places.
- Eat a balanced diet and limit between-meal snacks.
- Visit your dentist regularly for professional cleanings and oral exams.
Routine Dental Cleanings & Examinations
The best defenses against dental disease are routine professional cleanings and examinations. Dr. Clausen checks his patients for dental decay and periodontal (gum) disease, and he also regularly examines for any signs of oral cancer. Dental cleanings are necessary to prevent cavities, gingivitis, and gum disease.
Cleaning and polishing teeth leave their surfaces smooth. A smooth surface makes it difficult for bacteria to stick and tartar to form on them. We use a highly effective ultrasonic device. The vibrations emitted remove tartar and loosen plaque.
Once the teeth have been cleaned of tartar and plaque, they are polished with a slow speed hand piece using a dental polishing paste. To help strengthen the tooth enamel, your dental hygienist may also apply a fluoride treatment.
Preventative services and products available in our office include:
- Routine dental cleanings
- Comprehensive and routine oral examinations
- Oral cancer screening
- Computer-assisted periodontal charting
- Dental sealants
- Fluoride treatments
- Sonicare™ electric toothbrushes
- Night guards
- Athletic mouth guards
Scaling & Root Planing
Scaling and root planing are cleaning techniques in non-surgical periodontal therapy where a hygienist removes plaque and tartar from below the gum line. Curettes and scalers are specially designed instruments used for manually cleaning and smoothing the tooth's surface. They are curved and shaped to match the curves of the teeth.
Bacterial toxins irritate the gums and cause them to detach from the teeth. It is important to remove plaque and tartar from the gum pockets because the rough surfaces of tartar are a breeding ground for bacteria.